Kitchen Cupboard Barleywine Bochet
A barleywine style mead with honey and hops
- 3.3 cups roasted pearl barley
- 3.3 cups toasted oats
- 6.6 pounds caramelized honey
- 3.3 pounds raw honey
- 1.6 cups grape concentrate
- 2oz Centennial hops
- Water to five gallons
- EC-1118 Yeast
- 0.8 cups grape concentrate for priming
- Roast and toast the barley and oats in the oven until golden brown.
- Cold steep grains in brewing water for 3-4 days.
- Strain out grains.
- Divide hops into thirds.
- Add 1/3 of hops, raw honey, and 1.6 cups grape juice to the fermentation vessel along with the half of the grain tea.
- Place a gallon of water on to boil.
- At boil, add second 1/3 hops to the boil.
- After 15 minutes, add the remaining 1/3 hops, kill heat, cool five minutes, and strain hops out.
- Add hops tea to fermentation vessel.
- Carefully caramelize the remaining honey for one hour on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Add a remainder of cold grain tea to the caramelized honey, stir.
- Mix must together, top up to five gallons.
- Ferment dry, then prime in bottle with grape concentrate.
- For best results, watch the video prior to making!
Best enjoyed on a cool, sleepy day!